September 4, 2007

The Two Letters

I would like to explain why I decided to share the two letters.

When I purchased the properties from the Muir's, I knew that they would be a good investment once they were cleaned up and leased out. I did not purchase the hardware store with the intent of obtaining a liquor license. I knew that this was a great property and it was adjacent to the properties that we already owned. It would be a great location for some sort of retail or many other uses.

This blog was created so that the community could share their thoughts and ideas as to what types of businesses the would be supported here. A way for the process, of creating Strawberry Fields, to be transparent. A forum for everyone, to not only see what was going on, but, also offer input. From the beginning there have been requests for, among other things a nice restaurant. That is when I looked into changing the law for the liquor license.

We have secured a tenant, whose business model seems to fulfill many of the desires of the people that have posted here. The Catonsville Gourmet, does not need a liquor license.

While I have never hid the fact that Mr. Andrews and I are not best friends, I have stated several times on this blog that I did not intend to use this site to post negative things about him. I have been asked by several people to try and work out my differences with the owner's of Ships. These two letters were not private, they have been circulated to many people, as is evidenced by the cc:s on each letter. The letters were posted here to show that an effort has been made to work together. To give insight into why things are the way they are. I made no comments about the letters other that stating the obvious - That we don't see eye to eye.

Now that the properties at Strawberry Fields are mostly leased and the liquor license is no longer an issue. I hope to keep things on a much more positive note here. To use this site to share the good things that are happening in Catonsville and more specifically at Strawberry Fields.

Craig

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a regular reader of your blog and appreciate the information it provides. I can understand how a new reader might feel that publishing your letters may not be appropriate. I think they are enlightening. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

There is no reason why NOT to post the letters. This is America and it is all over the news everyday!!!!! These people that think it is wrong must want to live in the old USSR.

As far as competition, it is great for the country and community. Mr. Andrews is worried that it will hurt his business because he knows that people come there because there is nowhere else to go.

He mentioned, in his letter, that people like the service of a privately owned restaurant!!!! Let me tell you, I have managed restaurants and bars, and have a degree in Restaurant Management. If that is what you call customer service, I should just tear up my degree. That is one of the worst restaurants I have ever been!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I think we need more choices. Frankly I think Ships is overpriced, the food is ok, but as a vegetarian, there are not many choices anyway in this community. I I don't go there because there isn't much exicitng to eat there. They dont think Matthews just down the street is any competition either.??? If we had more choices, more folks would eat out period and yes, market to UMBC!

Steve Garrison CHS '69 said...

If you wrote a letter to someone without being told that it would be made public, and you saw it published in a public forum, how would you feel?

How inclined would you be to continue your communication with the person who released the letter?

It's not about living in the USSR.

It's about how to create understanding and foster good will.

Catonsville can do better.

Skip the letters. Go talk to the people.

Better still, come up with SOME IDEAS to make Catonsville better.

Enough already for beating a dead horse.

Anonymous said...

Steve -
At the end of the letters you can see all of the people that were cc'd each time. These letters were not private and were already being circulated. I felt that if they were already being passed around, the unsuspecting public has the right to read them as well. As far as understanding and ideas, I have had people contact me in support of Ships, people that believe that there should be no competition, that Catonsville can't handle it. It has been a real surprise to me that people feel that way. Craig

Anonymous said...

Today I took my mother out for lunch. When I told her that I wanted to take her to Ship's Cafe. She told me that she and her friends don't eat there anymore. She explained why and told me about this blog.

Add me to the list. This guy just doesn't get it.

He will go down with his ship.

On the Lighter Side!